Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sleep and Motherhood

As most of you know, it's pretty much obvious that when you become a mother, sleep goes right out the window. It was a rough first couple of weeks, but the last couple days/nights have really been working out.

Lila was starving it seemed and wanting to eat like every hour and a half. I just felt like I couldn't keep up. I finally broke down and gave her a bottle of formula on Friday afternoon. We really really wanted to exclusively breastfeed/pump for her, but it was just wearing me out, not to mention stressing me out. This in turn, I have no doubt, was affecting my milk supply. Since Friday, we have given her a bottle of formula twice a day, about every 12 hours or so and I've been able to pump. I've started catching up and am even putting a little away for storage! It feels so great. We haven't had to give her formula at all today because my milk is keeping her happy. I feel so much better about everything now. The formula didn't hurt her belly and she hasn't shown any signs of it affecting her negatively at all.

Miss Lila is changing so much everyday. She is also settling into a bit of a routine. She has been eating and sleeping on cue pretty much every 3 hours or so. She has even be having some awake time. This is so cute. She just looks around the room or stares at me or the TV in awe of everything. I just look back at her in awe that she is ours. We made her and she is perfect, even when she is screaming her little head off. :)

Neil has been back at work this past week and it's been pretty lonely around the house. We get so excited when he gets home, but it's like I immediately get tired when he walks in the door. I feel awful, but even when I've taken some naps throughout the day, I still need to hit the sack early at night. God bless him for coming home to a house that is still kinda wrecked, supper that is leftovers and in still needs to be heated up, a dirty diaper and a sleepy mom that, if she had any energy at all would love to just spend some time and talk to him, but really just needs to sleep! He is amazing for dealing with all this!

When we do get to lay down together, I just get all emotional and start crying because it's so nice to be able to snuggle up to him (and I mean all the way up to him without a belly in the way) and just lay there knowing that he's there when I need him.

And today, we'll leave you with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment