Friday, March 25, 2011

Post #8 - A place you've traveled to

I've been several places, but all pretty normal places. One of the most interesting places I've been is where my Grandma Fern grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She grew up in a small town called Ishpeming and is very similar to Harrisburg, I think. I've only been there a handful of times, 2 that I can remember. I went for a week when I was 14 and of course was very disappointed when I came home a week later and had completely lost my tan.

Not only is the weather way different, but life is too! It's almost like being in Canada. Every sentence is ended in "eh" and the is pronounced "da" thus "da yoopers". They have these weird things called pasties, which I have no idea what they are, but my mom and aunts and other family rave over them. Maybe next time I go, I'll try one.

Another thing that just floors me about this place is how they are so used to snow in mass amounts. About 3 years ago, I joined my mom and grandma in a trip up there. The day/night before we got there it has snowed something crazy like 19 inches or something. The roads did not have a flake on them. If that had happened here, we wouldn't have gone to school for a week!

This place is called Suicide Hill. My grandma grew up in a place that had enough snow for a ski slope! I seriously don't know if I could do this. I like warm weather WAY too much!

I'd love to take Lila there to see all of our relatives who still live there, but we are DEFINITELY going in the summer! When it's 100 degrees here, it's about 70 there. I can take that, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment