Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Me

I had someone contact me the other day through email and as I started to email her back, I realized that I had never, in the history of this blog, gave any background about myself. I jumped right in to the pregnancy and all that went along with that. From there, we had our beautiful baby girl and we've been talking about her since then. I'm going to take one post for myself. I want to tell you a little bit about me and how I came to be where I am now.

I am 26 years old and I grew up in a rural town in Southern Illinois. I was always very athletic and competitive; I still am. It drives me every day.

I have a sister and 2 brothers. I have a Mom and step-dad and a Dad and step-mom. We are one hell of a family and all love each other very much.

The person that emailed me asked for my parenting advice. I'm not kidding, this really happened. I guess it was more like wanting to know about what I have done and what I'm doing now. I felt so honored that someone would ask my opinion on something that I really haven't been doing that long.

I started thinking about my life as a mother and how easy, yes easy, it has been. I'm blessed with a daughter that is pretty low maintenance and easy therefore easy to take care of. I remember when Lila was just a couple days old and my mom was over "helping out" (that's code for wanting to see Lila again). I caught her kind of watching me and she just told me that I looked so natural at what I was doing. At that particular moment, I was actually breastfeeding. I started thinking, I have been a mom all my life. Well at least since I was about 4.

My sister was born when I was 4 and I quickly became my mom's little helper. I took charge a lot. I was about 9 1/2 when my brother was born. I definitely thought I was the mom here. I could basically do everything. My mom could maybe say that I was more harm than I was help. :) I also have a half-brother and I was almost 21 when he was born. I was away at school for the first bit, but since then, I've loved being involved with him. He is a little squirt!

My wonderful Dad is a teacher and we got to spend all summer with him. This was another great lesson in mommy-hood. As I got a little older, I would be in charge of lunch at home when my dad was either working on the patio or in the yard or doing one of his many "summer projects" that he had. I would take care of them like they were my own. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that my dad would never come inside or anything, I'm saying that I was THAT responsible and reliable that he was comfortable with me inside or outside with them.

My parents will probably remember it a different way...me complaining about HAVING to babysit EVERY weekend or me NEVER getting to do anything because I had to stay home and watch Hannah and Capel. Yeah yeah yeah...get your own blog guys and tell the story your way! :)

So naturally when my own little girl came into this world, I really felt like I knew what to do. There were/still are many questions that I ask my mom. I don't know everything and I don't think that any mother does. I'm just saying that I feel like I know more that a lot of first time mothers and the credit goes to my parents and grandparents for teaching me all of this at such an early age!

I also have to give mad props to my sweet, loving husband who will admit, before Lila, he didn't really know much about babies. He has trusted my judgment and learned (for what it's worth) some stuff from me. We both continue to learn every day and since no two children are the same, we will continue to learn throughout the rest of our lives how to raise our children. Yes I say children because, God willing, we would like to have more. :)

This blog is kind of a ramble, but I decided that there's not really any rhyme or reason to anything. I hope you all enjoy this very different post from me!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment