Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What a horrific day...

This morning at 4:56 AM and EF 4 tornado hit my hometown, where I still live with my family, Harrisburg, IL.  Winds were reported at 170 mph.  It has just been devastating.  There are so many people that I know personally who have been affected by this.  It's one of those things that you just don't know what it's like until you see it in person.  It's truly the saddest thing I've ever seen.  For those of you that follow me and aren't aware of where this is, it's a pretty rural town deep in Southern Illinois.  In my town of Harrisburg, we are a pretty tight knit group.  Everyone and then some have come to volunteer in many different aspects.

All I can say at this point is if you find yourself reading this blog tonight, tomorrow, next wee, next month, or even next year, please please please pray for us.  We will come through this and Harrisburg will be bigger and stronger than it was before.  It is our job to rebuild Harrisburg and we will do it.

There are so many volunteers at this point, that many people are on wait lists.  This is the most helpless I've ever felt.  You are there, you can see the damage, but you can't get there to help people directly.  What's most important for people like me is to remember that we CAN help people indirectly if that's the only means we have.  Prayers, food/clothes/household item donations, etc.  Prayers are the biggest thing right now.

Since I was not able to get to anyone to help this evening, I went on my 6 mile run that was scheduled in my marathon training plan.  I was surprised to find that the officers let me on the bike trail that was closed just hours before.  It was so saddening.  I just can't get through my head that this is my town that this is happening to.  I just wanted to reach in and help everyone.  I'm hoping that the next few days will provide a little more organization so many more of us can help!

You know it's big when Al Roker, Jim Cantore, Anderson Cooper, and many many more are covering it.  I never wished that Harrisburg would be in the news like this, but at least this will put us on many other peoples' prayer lists.

I'm going to try to provide as many pictures and videos/links as possible for you to check out what's going on.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/harrisburg-illinois-pictures




http://www.dailyregister.com/photos/x132506778/Aerial-photos-of-Harrisburgs-damage

http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/H-140961203.html


Videos seems the easiest at this point.  It's just crazy right now.

Follow me on Twitter if you would like to see more photos.  ljatkins10 is my Twitter name.  I'll be retweeting many pics that others in my hometown have taken.  I have not been able to take any at this point.

Again, thanks for the prayers, thoughts, and concerns.  We appreciate them more than you could ever ever imagine!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete