Monday, October 3, 2011

Goodnight Moon

My good friend, Medley Wilson Ford, got my sweet 5 day old baby a gift last year...a book titled Goodnight Moon.  I have always loved this book since I was a kid.  It was a book we read at my Grandma Jane's house and at Cousin Linda's house.  So simple, yet I loved it.  I was thrilled when I saw that Medley got Lila this book.  I read it to her almost immediately.  Over the months she began to understand the book.


She would point to the "3 little bears sitting in chairs" and to the "kittens" and the "red balloon".  It wasn't until tonight that I go so tickled because this time she knew what was coming next.

Every time I read the book we talk about each one of the objects (some listed above).  My favorite part is "the little old lady whispering hush".  When I say hush, I always put my index finger over my lips.  A time or two in the past she would look at me when I was getting ready to say hush.  She knew it was coming.  Tonight, we went through the book.  We saw "the comb and the brush and the bowl full of mush".  She looked at me immediately when she heard the "shh" sound.  Then we saw "the little old lady whispering hush".  At the point, she put her index finger to my mouth as I said hush.  I about melted.  It's such an amazing feeling knowing, not only that she is learning, but that she is learning from listening to me.  She is comprehending now, which completely blows my mind.  How can she be this big already???
So as if that wasn't enough, she even started waving goodnight to all the objects in the house...even "the little old lady whispering hush".  You can obviously see why this is one of my favorite books to read to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment