Friday, May 14, 2010

Running and Baby

20 Weeks

This baby is an energy vacuum. Ok, so I know what you're thinking. Duh, Lindsey. Of course it is. It's just that I thought that serious exhaustion was done for a while (like until the baby was born and I can't ever sleep again). Maybe it's more the fact that I get winded doing the laundry or cooking supper. The second trimester is supposed to be the "honeymoon" trimester. You in a good mood, having fun, picking out things for the baby. I'm not so sure about this. Now don't get me completely wrong here, I'm actually in a good mood and that's saying something for me.

Then there's the exercising portion of my life. I'm still running, or should I say slowly jogging with several walk breaks in between. This is great. An I usually feel so much better when I'm done. But yesterday, while I was at the track to get in a quick (easy on the quick part) workout, my shins and calfs starting hurting really bad. I stopped and stretched. I haven't had shin splints since high school...seriously. This is what I get for buying the "cheaper" shoes this time. Serves me right. Then there's my hips. No kidding on the widening of the hips. It took me back to a day I remember oh so well. I was a sophomore in high school and running cross country. I wasn't running quite as well as the previous year and was kinda down about. When going to my lovely father for advice, I got "Well Lindsey, you're a girl. You're hips are getting wider and your butt is getting bigger. You're not gonna run like you used to." It was then, that I knew...don't go to Dad for advice unless you wanna get the cold hard truth.

So as I'm taking a literal and figurative jog down memory lane, it dawns on me, will I be able to run the same when this baby is out of my body or will I forever be doomed by the baby body? Oh God! This was bad, because it only made me wanna run more. That combined with the fact that I've been eating like TLC's "Half Ton Mom". (I hope you get a kick out of that Deanna!) So I will exercise tonight keep my hopes high that I can burn some of the calories I've been taking in.

What's even better, is I wish I could see an ultrasound of what the baby looks like when I'm running for a long period of time. For my amusement and also for Neil's sanity because he thinks the baby is being thrown up and down. I assured him that she's not, but hell, who the hell really knows!

So here I am feeling like all this weight I've gained is straight up fat. I know it's now, but it just doesn't seem to be going to the right places. My butt really is getting bigger, my thighs are getting bigger and so are the so-called love handles. Now I didn't create pregnant women, but my thought is, shouldn't your thighs get smaller and more toned? That way they aren't crowding the baby when she's trying to get out. I have a "bubble butt" anyway (again, thanks Dad for the brutal honesty and the genes). But maybe God could say "Lindsey, since everything else on you is getting bigger, I want to shrink your butt for these 9 months." I guess I should just be appreciative since he is giving me bigger boobs!

1 comment:

  1. Ahahaha. Love this. :) My Dad is the same way. And I'm pretty sure they both always mean well when they share the cold, hard truth. Somebody's gotta tell us, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete