Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vivian Ruth

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post on baby sister's birth, BUT it's harder to find the time with two.  :)  I have lots of stuff that I am wanting to post so sit tight and watch for multiple posts today and tomorrow!

The day was April 26, 2013.  I had had about enough of work for the week and the day before had decided that I needed a day off.  I took a personal day on April 26.  I had a hair appointment and was going to take a few hours anyway, so why not the whole day?

I got up early and took Lila to daycare (this was a personal day after all) and came home and enjoyed my coffee.  I took a look around the house and thought, "what baby would want to come home to this house?".  It was filthy.  It was a mess.  So I headed of to the wonderful world of Walmart and stocked up on some cleaning supplies.  It was amazing.  I came home and did some laundry, cleaned the bathroom, the kitchen, the bedrooms, the floors, dusted, cleaned the fans.  You name it, I did it.  It still wasn't perfect though.

I headed off to my hair appointment and thought, maybe this sweet baby is just looking out for me.  She doesn't want to come when my hair isn't ready...there would be pictures of course and what girl wants to look back and think, "my mom's hair was awful when I was born".  LOL  It was also a relaxing afternoon.

I got home in time to clean up a little more and then went to pick Lila up.  We both decided that I wasn't going to be cooking supper that night (remember the personal day??) and Neil was working since it was a Friday.  When I asked Lila where she wanted to eat, she of course chose Mackie's.  Off to Mackie's we go.

Well, we no more walked through the door at Mackie's and my water broke at 6:00 PM.  REALLY????  Not only was I starving from all the work I'd done all day, but Lila wasn't the only one craving Mackie's.  Damn....

We ordered anyway because I wasn't 100% sure that my water broke.  (Who am I kidding?  Of course I was sure...I just couldn't believe it.)  I let Lila play some games while I convinced myself that, yes this was all happening.  I texted Neil and told him, knowing that he probably wouldn't answer a call since he was working.  I called my mom, who mind you had been stalking me for the past week asking me if I was in labor, and she didn't answer.  I called my dad...WHO DIDN'T ANSWER!  Are we seeing a trend here??  Don't leave me hanging people!  Finally got a hold of Deanna (who was with dad) and told them to get home because I had to bring Lila over.

You may be thinking, why on earth are you freaking out?  This is your second and you know how long these things take.  That's the thing.  My labor with Lila was on the short side and everyone, EVERYONE, had told me that this one would go faster and not to waste any time getting to the hospital.

I finally got Neil by calling the ER.  We got our crap together and to Carbondale we drove.  The contractions were not as noticeable this time around.  Got to Carbondale in a reasonable amount of time and got in the "holding cell" as I like to call it.  I honestly don't know what it's really called, but it's the dreadful place where they put you where you have to sit and answer questions and get your labs done and make sure you're really in labor.  It's a fun little place...not.  It is quite entertaining seeing who is in labor with you and hearing them answer questions.  LOL  There are some dandies out there.  I was dilated to a 4 when I got there, which was decent progress since I was dilated to a 3 at my appointment two day prior.

We finally made the move to the delivery room where I could relax and just, well labor.  I knew a little more this time than I did last time so I walked the halls.  I walked and walked and walked and folks, it truly helped the pain.  I never did this with Lila.  The nurse made me come back in every 45 min or so to check the contractions and fetal heart tones.  It was dreadful in the room.  By about 10:00, I'm thinking, we should be getting pretty close.  I labored about 6-7 hours with Lila and this was supposed to be faster, right?  I was STILL at a 6.  I was making no progress, hour by hour.  The minutes and hours just kept ticking.  I was stuck...stuck at a 6 and not going anywhere.  She was really low, but my body wasn't cooperating.  Finally about 2:00, yes you read that right, 2:00 AM, Dr. Mulch came in and checked me again.  She said she felt a pocket of fluid that had kinda wedged it's way to the side.  She was going to pop it.  And boy did she ever!  Up to this point, I was doing great on IV pain meds and so far had not needed the epidural.  She popped that pocket and I swear to you it sent me in a pain level I've never experienced.  (I must've gotten the epi before that point with Lila).  As you can imagine, the anesthesiologist was ordered and arrived very quickly.  I got the epi and rested for about an hour before she was basically coming out on her own.

Dr. Mulch came in and two pushes later, baby sister was here.  4:03 AM 6 lbs 7.3 oz and 19 1/2 in long.  She had a head full of dark brown hair and was just beautiful.  She was bright eyed and ready to go.  She was all smashed from being so low for so long and snorting a lot.  Sweet little smashed piggy. We loved her already!  Then they asked for a name...uhhhh Neil?  What do you think?  Vivian? Sure.  I mean, unless you have something else? No?  Ok...Vivian Ruth it is!  LOL  That's pretty much how it happened.  :)


Later that day my dad brought Lila over to meet her new sister and she was just thrilled.  I almost cried. It wasn't just my little Lila anymore.  I couldn't spend all my time with her.  Now I was going to have to manage to spend time with both of them.  Tear...tear...tear...we'll cross that bridge later.  Fast forward several weeks and Lila still loves her baby sister.





No comments:

Post a Comment